For a site I am currently creating in Drupal 7, I have a bunch of events and I need to show a view of the content in a non-traditional calendar way (Listing of events for a week, a pager to go back and forth in the week, and a calendar block which lets the user select the date (week) they want to see events occurring on).
I have the pleasure of working on CalArt's Photo Archive. From the conversion as a flat-file website into Drupal, the site has come a long way. And for a mid-sized website (a little over 100k nodes) running on somewhat older hardware (at least 3 years old), we are fairly happy with the performance (using the boost module allows us to serve cached content at approximately 2k requests per second). However, I was noticing that some of our content type pages were loading quite slowly prior to being cached.
(Updated November 10, 2011 - Updated information about file actions. Thank you Patrick Thurmond!)
(Updated June 4, 2011 - File Handler Compatibility with Migrate 2.1)
(Updated June 8, 2011 - Image to show how to write out your destination field names)
Updated August 29, 2012: I wrote out a blog post on the new image/file handler changes from Migrate 2.4+ a few weeks ago which you can read about here. I've not updated this blog post with those changes so take a bit of what you learn from these blog posts, and add in all the things from the new one for anything file related (or just look at the new one since I link out to the new reference codebase from there as well). and hopefully it helps :)
Its been a while since I wrote about using the migrate module to migrate content from various sources. The last time, I covered migrating users into Drupal and this time, I will write out how to migrate content into drupal as nodes. Because the migrate module is so flexible, it makes doing such things quite easy.
This evening, I had the pleasure of once again presenting at a Los Angeles Drupal meetup. This time, I changed focus from showcases and module demonstrations to a module howto. The migrate module is fantastic at migrating content into drupal but as has been noted, a bit lacking as far as documentation / presentations are concerned. Since I have been working at migrating a site at CalArts to Drupal 7, this was a good opportunity to present on how to implement content migration. The slides have now gone up on SlideShare (the slides will be embedded below as well) and John Romine should have the video up within the next few days. I am really happy with how the presentation went and look forward to talking more content migration with others in the community in the near future. I'm hoping to carve out some time and write out the node migration process sometime this week.
Last week, I posted about performing a content/user migration from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 using the migrate module (instead of going via the upgrade route or the 'use the interns at work and make them undergo hell for a few days' of copy content and users one-by-one for migration).
UPDATE - March 13, 2012: Added in findings by Andre and my thoughts.
This past Saturday, my wife and I had a chance to finally enjoy some food we almost never get a chance to out in the 'burbs - food trucks! About 40 food trucks converged on a few baseball fields for a food truck festival.
It was a cold, rainy, snowy day (ok, maybe still warm by the standards of the north ^_~), but we both had a lot of fun. Atleast half of the food trucks served some form of vegetarian food (all of which was fairly reasonably priced) and we ultimately chomped down on:
Over the past 2 weeks, I have been working on a project whereby the site owners wanted to update the look and feel of their site (along with adding a slew of new features in there - I will be posting about it once the site launches). In talking with my coworkers, we (I) essentially decided that instead of updating their current site (which was in Drupal 6), it would now be done in Drupal 7. What we (I) also decided is that instead of running the site through a site upgrade path, we would create a fresh install of Drupal 7 and copy the content from the old site into the new one.
A couple of months ago, I presented at a LA User Group meetup on getting rid of 60 - 70 odd gallery blocks on calarts.edu and getting them all powered by one block. I hadn't had a chance to properly present all the material at that time (and I didn't get a chance to share some/most of the code we'd used to get it all up and running so I've decided to type out the whole history behind how the idea and the implementation that came about.