Over the past 2 weeks, I have been working on a project whereby the site owners wanted to update the look and feel of their site (along with adding a slew of new features in there - I will be posting about it once the site launches). In talking with my coworkers, we (I) essentially decided that instead of updating their current site (which was in Drupal 6), it would now be done in Drupal 7. What we (I) also decided is that instead of running the site through a site upgrade path, we would create a fresh install of Drupal 7 and copy the content from the old site into the new one.
A couple of months ago, I presented at a LA User Group meetup on getting rid of 60 - 70 odd gallery blocks on calarts.edu and getting them all powered by one block. I hadn't had a chance to properly present all the material at that time (and I didn't get a chance to share some/most of the code we'd used to get it all up and running so I've decided to type out the whole history behind how the idea and the implementation that came about.
There was an LADrupal meetup last night (details are at http://groups.drupal.org/node/93759). I was given the opportunity to present on our site launch to the various members of the LADrupal community last night in Santa Monica. There was a fairly large audience (I actually talked with folk from UCLA, UC Irvine, and CalTech and there were a few institutions I didn't get a chance to speak with). The presentation seems to have gone really well and the screencast is now up at UCI at